Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Day Three

To our delight, the rain finally stopped pouring down on Hong Kong today, so we were able to go on our guided tour.



First, we went to the top of Victoria's Peak. On a clear day, they say the view is amazing, but we weren't so lucky. Here's a bit of what we did see though...










Then we went to check out the fishing village in Aberdeen. We took a boat tour of the area where the fishermen and their families live on their boats...







While we were out on the water, we got to see some rowers practicing for the Dragon Boat Races tomorrow. Apparently, it's quite a celebrated sporting event here. They row to the beat of the drum the guy in the very back of the boat plays. Can you see him?






Here's a building that caught my eye...






You see lots and lots of buildings just like this one all over Hong Kong. Housing here in Hong Kong consists mainly of apartments like these. Wow, do I ever have a whole new appreciation for my sprawling, suburban neighborhood!





More of Hong Kong

People here are so different. For one- everyone smokes. I feel like I'm in some sort of time warp back when it was cool to smoke in the US, some 20+ years ago. It's so strange. Another thing I can't help but notice is that it doesn't appear that dental hygiene is much of a priority for folks here in Hong Kong. I don't mean to sound ugly- I realize sometimes you just don't get good teeth, or maybe dentistry is very expensive here. I don't know- maybe they find it attractive to sport the crooked, brown-toothed look?! Well, whatever the reason, I have noticed that it's rare to see a person with straight, white teeth. Maybe it's all that smoking they do, huh?

Also, this city really doesn't come alive until it gets dark. It's amazing how many more people start to come out once it starts getting dark.

Another funny thing I noticed... Gen Xers, or I guess you could call them 20-somethings, seem to all carry Nintendo DS's around with them. They all have these cool leather cases for them, and they'll meet up at Starbucks and sit around and play their DS's together. It's the funniest thing.

Well, we leave for Guangzhou early tomorrow morning. I'm getting so excited to meet our little Miss Kelly on Tuesday. As interesting as it is to see all of this, she's what this whole trip is really all about.

Thanks everyone, for all the great comments. I love hearing from you. I'm so happy to share our adventures with you this way- it's the coolest thing.

3 comments:

fourlittlehawks said...

Hi You! Awesome pictures! I had to tell you that I saw a "House Hunters International" episode on HK. This woman was looking at all those teensy, cramped apartments and they were selling for upwards of $450,000 US! And they were smaller than your hotel room, isn't that sick? So glad you guys got out to do some touring.
Love You,
Jen

~natty and barclay said...

I love all these photos. The China Sea looks so green compared to the Pacific which is such a beautiful blue! It is Sunday morn here and I just heard that there were more aftershocks in Eastern Sichuan, China. I am so thankful that Kelly is much further south! Have a wonderful day. God speed your flight. I'm off to church. Guess what I am having for lunch after church? You got it! Chinese! HUGS.

Carrie said...

Hong Kong reminds me of Bejing besides for all the construction going on there! thanks for the pictures!