Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Piglet Therapy!





Oh, I wish you could have seen Kelly before Debbie began "Piglet Therapy" with her! Kelly was TERRIFIED of Piglet. We weren't sure why- we are figuring it might have been because he has an internal motor that makes him talk and move and Kelly didn't understand that and thought he might actually be alive! Anytime she got within feet of this Piglet riding toy, she screamed and even shook, as if Piglet were a big, scary monster. Clint and I would try to show her he was fine, but she was NOT having him! It got so bad that she wouldn't even want to be on the floor in the same room with Piglet! She would scream in terror, holding on to you for dear life, hiding her face against your chest, but then looking back at Piglet every so often, just to scream all over again at the sight of him. We just didn't know what to do so we ended up moving him out into the garage.

But then came Debbie to the rescue! I told her what had happened and she puzzled her puzzler over it, then decided to see if she couldn't help Kelly get over this irrational fear of the Piglet toy! She was so patient and calm- she took so much time just inching her way with Kelly, closer and closer to Piglet, all the while not pushing Kelly to touch him, but touching him herself, petting him and talking to him, and showing Kelly that even when he talked or played music he couldn't and wouldn't hurt her. Then she got her kids involved and had them actually sit on Piglet and had Kelly observe the whole thing. Of course, her kids had a blast and Kelly took it all in. As each day passed and Debbie worked with Kelly, you could see Kelly's anxiety over Piglet diminish. Finally, I think on the third day, Kelly began to, ever so cautiously, TOUCH Piglet! We were amazed!

By the end of that day, Kelly actually gave him a kiss, and Debbie was able to snap a picture to prove it after several failed attempts!

I'm happy to report that Kelly's Piglet Therapy was a success. She and Piglet are now buddies and she gives him hugs and kisses every day!

Thanks Doctor Debbie, for the wonderful Piglet Therapy! We are so extremely grateful to you! Sooo, when are you coming back to begin Shoe Therapy?

3 comments:

Blomquist Blog said...

Oh Jen!
I wish I could take credit, but I really think it just shows Kelly's true character and how brave she is for trying new things. Once she learned that Piglet was not going to "hurt her", she was very loving and adjusted so quickly. She still amazes me how she has adjusted to things! Now, if I could just get that silly Piglet song out of my head! I might need some therapy myself! I was so glad and honored that I could help sweet Kelly! Miss you guys so much. Hugs to you all!

Love you,

Deb

Kay Bratt said...

Kelly is adorable! I stumbled across your blog and got caught into the piglet story-- very cute.I am glad that she and Piglet can now be friends--

fourlittlehawks said...

Piglet was never my favorite Pooh character. He is borderline agoraphobic, and has a serious case of hypochondria. I don't know how someone like Tigger can bear hanging out with him.

Why do I bring all of this up? Well, I'm just suggesting that maybe Kelly's Piglet phobia really stemmed from her fear that crazy might be catching, which does show wisdom beyond her year(s).

What Debby really showed Kelly is that sometimes crazy people can be fun, too! (If approached with caution and placated with soft words and displays of affection before engaging them in play).

It may have seemed like Debby merely helped Kelly overcome her fear of an unfamiliar toy, but I contend that Debby actually taught Kelly a very important life lesson in the process, which is even MORE awesome.

Love,
Auntie