Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Kelly Says "Hi"

Last week, Camryn taught Kelly to say "hi!"

Okay, so I know saying "hi" isn't exactly impressive, but Kelly has not been one to even attempt to say much, so "hi" is a milestone!

Even though Kelly hasn't been eager to talk much yet, I have no doubt she's a smart little cookie. Caleb was a late talker, but he's proven to be quite an intelligent dude, so I know it has nothing to do with her intellect.

But while I'm on the subject, can I just say- why must people always ask "Is she talking yet?" and then look at me puzzled when I answer no. I then explain that all she heard for the first 13 months of her life was Cantonese, and now, all of the sudden, she's hearing a completely different language, so of course she's going to be delayed in her speech, especially when compared to a baby who's been hearing English spoken to them since day one.

I know people mean well, but I faced this with Caleb when he was late to talk, where people kept asking why he wasn't talking yet, as if something must be wrong with him, so I think I've grown a little intolerant of people who seem like they always have to size up whether or not your children are developing at a proper rate. I think every child is different, and Kelly will talk when she's good and ready to talk, simple as that!

Okay, so now you got to see my feisty side a bit! Back to the subject at hand: While Kelly hasn't spoken much intelligible language yet, she has started to talk baby gibberish, and it's sooo adorable. We had been trying to get her to say "hi" in this clip, but when she started talking her little gibber-jabber, I was so thrilled because it's been very hard to catch on camera. I hope you can hear it. Unfortunately, the audio isn't the best.


6 comments:

fourlittlehawks said...

Dear Kelly,

Auntie would love to talk to you about that picture frame, you have alot of very interesting things to say about it. Call me!

Love,
Auntie

Clint and Jennifer said...

Since you happen to be Kelly's favorite person to call and talk to, she'll definitely be calling you to discuss the photo frame just as soon as she gets up from her nap... you cute Auntie, you!

Blomquist Blog said...

Very cute Jen! Kudos to Kelly! She has come leaps and bounds and you are right, she will talk on her own time! No worries. I love how she is having a conversation in her gibberish language--that was one of my favorite parts! She is too darn cute! Thanks for being so good about updates. Hope you are well!

Love ya,

Deb

Corie Barnhart-Grogan said...

Dear Precious Kelly,
I love all that you are telling us! You are just sooooo exactly where you are suppose to be with you sweet words. And besides, all those people apparently are not aware of the fact that what you "say" is not all of your vocabulary..it is also the words that you comprehend. And in the clip when Mama told you to put the vase of flowers back...you did!! So you know those words too and when you are good and ready you'll give us all an ear full. You my sweet one are VERY smart..let's see... you've been home not even 7 months yet and you know so many words. If I went to China and stayed for the next YEAR - I guarantee you that I wouldn't know 1/2 of what you know of our crazy English language.
I love you, can't wait to hug and squeeze on you!
Grammie

Natalie said...

OH, she's adorable! I have a Yangxi girl too!! We also traveled with someone who lives in CA too. I wonder how far you two are from each other. I'll have to direct her to your blog.

I think your blog is great too. I looked aver the entire thing and just loved the pictures of China. Congrats on your sweet angel. She is really beautiful.

My Elliana is 27 months old now and is always talking. Our oldest daughter can hardly get in a word with Elliana around. Sometimes we can understand her and other times only she knows what she's saying... LOL
Well, hope it's OK- I'll stop by again sometime

Connie Son said...

I think that Kelly is very smart, she signs and know what you are saying so she is getting there! I agree that people are not taking in consideration that she has been listening to 2 very different languages that in it self is confusing to me(even the english...haha!) The jibberish is just the beginning for the chater box to start! Emily could talk young but honestly it was like after 2 years old before she found her confidence and became the serious sassy chater box. U are a great mom and she is learning much from you!