Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

To the Mountains (updated)

(I added a couple more pictures and captions...)


Instead of fighting the mobs to go shopping on Black Friday, we headed up to the mountains to get some fresh air.

Here are some pictures from our adventure.

It was a beautiful day.

With Kelly, we weren't able to hike anything too steep, but it was still so fun just to watch her take to the trails.
She loves the outdoors and this being her first trip to the mountains, I can definitely say- it won't be her last!
It was a little stressful for Camryn and I, to be quite honest, because we were worried about Kelly. You see, there was an aqua duct that ran right alongside the trail, and it's like a canal with steep banks and no way to get out, so every time we thought she was getting too close, our stomachs would fall and we would reach over for her to make sure she didn't accidentally fall in.
I thought it was cute how Camryn already has that cautious, motherly instinct, whereas her dad and brother never flinched once!

I must confess, I hate these pictures of me. Like my sister, I got a short haircut I'm just not crazy about. It's actually a cute haircut, but just not on me. My hair is too thick and has too much body, so it doesn't lay right. It looked like a bowl in these pictures! Blah. So pay no attention to my hair, okay? I like short hair and it's soo easy, so I wish I could wear it better, but I don't think it's the look for me. (What fun it will be over these next several months trying to grow it out. Ugh.)

Anyway, my hair woes aside, I had a wonderful day up at the mountains and actually never gave thought to my hair once. (Until I saw the pictures!) It was sooo nice just being together with my family without the distractions of home... you know, the phone calls, laundry, cleaning, and dishes, to name a few.

I highly recommend carving the time out to get away with your family once in a while... something we have actually resolved to do more often as a result of this trip. It doesn't have to be the mountains though- any change of scenery will do!

We took four or five family shots and this was the best one.
(Many of you probably know how very difficult it is to get five people plus a dog "picture perfect" in the same shot!)



Such a good big sister

I love this shot of Kelly on the trail. The tree-lined trail is so pretty, and Kelly looks so little, yet so big as she looks like she's taken to the trail all by her big self!


Caleb and Kaya







Trying to keep Kelly on the trail... operative word: trying!


See the aqua duct there to the right? And can you see how Kelly moves?! (I was much more nervous than I look in the picture!)


Kaya, our beloved Siberian Husky (and the best dog in the world, in my opinion!), got to go off-lead for the majority of our hike. She had so much fun running the trails with us. This is where a dog like Kaya really belongs!



This is the face Kelly makes when she falls down! She's a drama queen in the making, I'm afraid!



Getting help up from Mommy...



Brushing her hands off, ready to hit the trail again!


I love hiking in the moutains!


Such cute little steps miss Kelly takes- she looks so confident and happy.


Bjorn and Caleb throwing "bombs" down at us! (I don't know exactly what these things were. They had fallen from the trees and were everywhere...
some sort of fruit?)



I was in a bit of a hurry this morning when I originally posted this, and I didn't realize how small the family picture was, so I thought I'd crop it and post it again so you could actually see our faces!

I also added a few more captions to some of the pictures.

3 comments:

Blomquist Blog said...

Hey Jen!

Those pics are the best. Isn't that what life is really about?! Taking time out of our hectic schedules (and everybody has them) and doing something that everyone loves and really remember. I can't think of any better place to be than in nature! It looked blissful, and you are right, Kelly fit right in!

I love the family picture, but most importantly, I love everyone in that picture! Your hair ROCKS! It is so you, and you look great! I love the look!

I am also keeping your Grandma and Bill in our prayers. Keep us posted please on how they are doing.

Enjoy this time Jen, and know that your family is so special to us!

Love ya,

Deb

Clint and Jennifer said...

Hey Deb! Thanks for the sweet comment, and for the compliment on my hair. I'm glad you like it- wish I did. ;)
It's funny you said that about how you can't think of a better place to be than out in nature, because I can't help but think of you guys whenever we go on trips like this. It's just what I know you love so I can't help but think of you guys.
Thank you for your prayers- I'll keep you posted. Your family is very special to us too!

Love ya,
Jen

Paul and Angela said...

It's people like you that make my blog look so lame :). I love all your new pictures. I just have one little qualm about today's post and it involves the part about having the best dog in the world...I would have to say she might be the 3rd best one! Skylar wore the Christmas outfit you gave her the other day and it was absolutely adorable! We are taking her to Knott's Berry Farm this weekend so that should be fun. 3 months since our "up to 2 week" wait for a travel date began and still no news on when our little man can come home :(

Angela