Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

How good it is...


to remember what was, and look ahead to what will be.  

Today we celebrate the one year anniversary of Kelly's "Gotcha Day!"

These first pictures are from China.  Most of these I don't think ever made it on the blog. Anyone who's been to Shamain Island will recognize these spots with fond familiarity.  (Lucy's especially!)  Some of these shots are not of the greatest quality and I apologize, but still, I liked them so I thought I would share.  (Even though I hate myself in pictures and I am in almost every single one! EEK.)

Kelly one year ago








Kelly today


Today marked one year since the day Kelly was placed in our arms... screaming, crying, terrified... but ours.

Gotcha Day seems like it was a lifetime away.  These pictures show how much Kelly really has changed.  

We decided to go and take some pictures at Starbucks today since that is where we spent a lot of time taking pictures when we were in China!  We didn't pose exactly the same, but I added a few in from Guangzhou Starbucks so you can see the difference in Kelly. I have so many more to share from our Gotcha-versary celebration so those are coming next.  I captured some really great ones of Kelly-  who was definitely the life of the party! 

What I'm about to say has been said so often that I hope the power of these words isn't lost in the familiar, but... 
I cannot imagine our lives without her.  

She has brightened our world so much when we never even knew it needed brightening. 
Kelly is like color TV... 
Before color TV, no one ever knew what they were missing- black and white TV seemed fine.  But once TV came out in color, black and white just didn't cut it anymore.  No one wanted to watch TV unless it was in color.
Our lives are like that... since Kelly came home, we don't ever want to go back to what used to be.  Everything is more bright and vibrant with Kelly around. I can't believe we never realized how much was missing before. 

Starbucks Guangzhou
Starbucks Visalia
Starbucks Guangzhou
Starbucks Visalia
Starbucks Guangzhou
Starbucks Visalia
Starbucks Guangzhou
Starbucks Visalia
We love you our little Starbucks princess!



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jen, you brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps again. I swear I am going to get you to write a book if it kills me! You tell the story so very well. You are all so blessed and we are blessed. And little KelKel makes our lives much much brighter. We love you, little KelKel! Happy Gotcha Day, baby girl!!
Love and Hugs,
Kris

~natty and barclay said...

What a wonderful "reflective" blog! Kelly has grown and changed so much in one year and I can hardly wait to meet my precious youngest granddaughter! I am calling an "AD Agency" and you guys will be doing all of the future Starbucks commercials and Ads! lol. You ALL look fabulous. What an amazing blessing you are to Kelly and visa versa! Kelly's adoption was definately was a "God thing" and for that we give our thanks and praises to Him Who knew Kelly was to predestined to be in 'our' family. What a mighty God we serve! All I'm left to say about Kelly is, "ain't she something!"

Connie Son said...

Love..Love the starbuck pictures!! Aside from the best thing of getting Kelly in China that is what I remember most of seeing and hearing about your trip!

2china4S said...

First time commenting, been reading for a few months. Wow, Kelly has really grown a lot in a year. Your Gotcha day was our referral day. Our daughter has been with us eleven months (Family Day: 07/07/08 Home: 07/21/08), and while she has changed significantly, she is still quite small, and will always be. Seeing the Pearl River and Lucy's did bring back fond memories.

Natalie said...

AAAHHHHhhhhhh

I just had to say that but I'm not done with the post. LOL

Cindy said...

Happy Gotcha Day, how one year goes by so fast. enjoy every little moment. Love your starbucks baby pic.

Cindy