Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

A Tale of Two Princesses


Once upon a time there were two beautiful princesses, Princess Camryn, and Princess Kelly. One was fair with crystal eyes of blue and hair like spun gold. One was exotic with silky, black hair and mysterious, dark eyes. One was long and lean, and one was teeny-tiny. One was older and wiser, and one was still quite young. But no matter their differences, both princesses were very special, and both princesses loved and trusted one another very much.

One day, Camryn, the older, wiser princess, said to Kelly, the young, tiny princess, "Sweet little one, I have noticed that you refuse to wear shoes. Why is this?"

"Because," answered the tiny princess, "shoes frighten me so. I just do not understand the purpose of wearing them. Besides, they feel dreadful on my feet!"

"Oooh, I see." replied Princess Camryn. "Well, let me tell you, Princess Kelly, shoes are nothing to be afraid of. In fact, they're actually quite wonderful! They protect your feet from terrible, sharp things you might step on that could hurt your feet. They keep your feet warm when it's cold out, and they can make quite a fashion statement! Oh, they also help your feet to stay soft and clean, which is very important for dainty princesses like ourselves. You really should try them!"

"But the queen has already requested that I try them several times, but I just cannot do it. They feel too strange and I do not like them at all, Princess Camryn. The king and queen have granted me permission to walk without shoes on, so why would I want to try shoes when I don't have to?"

"Because, think of how proud the king and queen will be of you if you show them how brave you are that you are willing to try shoes even when you don't have to? And don't worry, little one, I will help you to find just the right pair of shoes that feel perfect on your feet! If not, you can continue to go without shoes and I won't mention it ever again."

"I don't know," replied the tiny princess suspiciously. "Are you sure you're not going to force me to wear them, like you force me to wear bows in my hair?"

"I promise!" said the big princess (with her fingers secretly crossed behind her back). "I will not force you to wear them if you don't like them."

So tiny Princess Kelly agreed to try shoes if it would please the older, wiser Princess Camryn.


"Yeah!" says Princess Camryn. "She's going to try them!"
But the little princess must first study the shoes to make sure they're well-constructed.
"See, these are called sandals." explains Princess Camryn. "This is where you fasten the strap so it stays on your foot."
"Oh, Princess Camryn, I just don't know about these." replied the tiny princess. "They're so strange-looking. I don't think I'm going to like them."

"And exactly how am I supposed to attach these contraptions to my feet anyway? Which one goes on what foot?"

After several attempts, Princess Camryn finally helps the tiny princess to get the sandals on her feet. After taking several steps, Princess Kelly realizes she still does not like the way the sandals feel on her feet, and she begins to protest vehemently.

The older, wiser princess knows the tiny princess will do anything for strawberry yogurt, so she offers her a bite if she will only walk across the room in her sandals. The tiny princess reluctantly agrees.

After walking across the room several times in the sandals, the tiny princess has not changed her mind about shoes. She says they still feel dreadful and she does not want to wear them.

The older princess thinks about this, and then decides that the sandals must be the wrong shoes for the little princess, so she asks her to try on just one more pair of shoes.

Princess Kelly tells Princess Camryn she is not in the mood to try on any more shoes, but Princess Camryn *convinces* her to try on the second pair of shoes anyway.

"You said you would not force me to wear shoes, Princess Camryn, but this feels an awful lot like forcing to me! Well then, if that's the way you're going to be, I'm going to pull this ridiculous bow out of my hair!"

The older, wiser princess just knows the tiny princess will love the sparkly, pink shoes if she only takes a few steps in them, so she doesn't even notice that the tiny princess has pulled the bow out of her hair.

The tiny princess takes a few steps in the beautiful, pink, sparkly shoes, and something magical begins to happen...

She hears the clip-clop of the beautiful, pink shoes on the tile, and it's like music to her ears. She notices the shimmer of the sparkles, and it feels like rays of sunshine beaming from her feet!

"Oh, Princess Camryn, I do love these shoes! I do! Listen to the sound they make when I walk! Isn't it divine? And look at how lovely and sparkly they look on my feet! I love them! I love them! I absolutely love them!"

"Look at me! Look at me! Oh, they're so comfortable- I feel like I'm walking on a cloud! They're simply divine, Princess Camryn! Thank you so much for helping me discover how wonderful shoes can be! I will never walk without them again!"

And so, Princess Kelly continued to walk in her magical, pink, sparkly shoes. The king and queen were very pleased with Princess Kelly's bravery and Princess Camryn's determination, so the entire kingdom celebrated with brownie-a-la-modes for everyone! Hip-hip-horray!

Hip-hip-horray!

Hip-hip-horray!


"For she's a jolly good fellow,

for she's a jolly good fellow,

for she's a jolly good fellow,

which nobody can deny!"


Good job, Princess Camryn. Your powers of persuasion with Princess Kelly know no bounds!


5 comments:

Blomquist Blog said...

That is absolutely priceless! Way to go Camryn! You are such a GREAT big sister and one who will have so much influence on Kelly the rest of her life. I will be looking to purchase my tickets to this Princess show--how about on ice?! :) A big shout out goes to Kelly too for being so brave and trying on her new shoes. The pink, sparkly ones are just awesome! Hip, Hip, Hooray is right!

Love you guys,

Deb

Blomquist Blog said...

One more thing....between you and me Kelly, a girl can only have so much PINK! I think the shoes are enough--you don't need the hair bow to pitter patter around! ;)

Miss you,

Deb

Clint and Jennifer said...

Well, what was a princess to do when her therapist moved way up to north country?!!
Tee hee!
I admit, I got a little carried away with the story, but it was too fun!
Yes, isn't it wonderful Kelly is finally willing to wear shoes? I tell you, what would I do without you and Camryn? Or rather, what would Kelly do without you?! You two blondies are the best!

Love and miss you guys, Deb. I'll give you a call soon.
Love,
Jen

fourlittlehawks said...

Ok, that was THE CUTEST BLOG POST EVER in the Kingdom of Blogdom. I loved it! AND I love Kelly's sparkly shoes and I love Camryn's funny faces! Most of all I Love, Love, Love The Queen and her prince and 2 princesses to pieces!!

Love,
Auntie

~LEMONDROPS said...

The girls and I have been perusing your blog and enjoying all the pictures, but we just *had* to comment on this one. We laughed and laughed - too cute, Jen. OK, we're off to bed. Your family is just loverly. Goodnight, old (as in from the past, not in age) friend.