Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Changes

I don't have time to explain much right now, but we are going through some changes at our house. (I'm attempting to type this with Kelly in my lap!)
Some of Kelly's behaviors over the past several months have sent up some red flags that she hasn't been bonding with us like she needs to, so we are taking a few steps back, actually all the way back to what they call "the fourth trimester." The idea is to give Kelly the opportunity to experience that closeness and total dependency on her mommy like a newborn baby would.
Here are some of the changes we've made:
1)I hold or carry Kelly almost all day long, facing me, as close as I can get her to my body.
2)We've gone back to bottle feeding a couple of times a day.
3) She's moved back into our room.
4) We (Kelly and I) exercise a couple of times a day, doing some specific exercises to help her brain heal from the effects that first year of neglect had on her.
5) We said goodbye to the TV. Instead, we listen to Mozart for babies now!
6)We give her massages a couple of times a day.
7) I spoon feed her all her meals. No more self-feeding for a while.

I wish I had more time to explain why we're doing these things. I'm learning sooo much and it's exciting to share. We're already seeing some slight changes in Kelly after only 6 days, so that's exciting too!

Bear with me if I'm not able to post much for the next few months. I really enjoy keeping up with our blog and others' blogs too, so I'm not saying goodbye... my visits will probably just be more brief, fewer and farther between for a while.

Happy Chinese New Year, which officially kicked off yesterday. Kelly wore her Qi Pao for the special day, but we had to layer it because it was chilly out. I didn't get any really good pictures of her like I wanted to, but we'll try again soon. Here she is, enjoying her slide with Caleb!

Caleb's going through a funny "less than photogenic" stage. Every picture I seem to take of him lately, he's half-blinking!







I had to get one of Camryn. She was on her computer, of course!







Kelly's so flexible. She's practically doing the splits here, if it weren't for the constricting Qi Pao, she probably would be! I love those little feet!




If you think of it, please pray for us as we go through this time with Kelly. We need an abundance of love, patience and wisdom as we try to help Kelly's precious little heart and mind heal. She's so worth it!
Thanks~


4 comments:

Blomquist Blog said...

Jen,

I know that during these trying times, it might feel that God has given you all more than you can handle. He does believe in all of you and He has chosen your family to raise this special girl from China. With life's blessings also comes struggles. You will face this challenge with your great faith, strength, and positive attitude. God will watch over you during this and guide you along the way. Please know that we are thinking of you all and praying that Kelly does find what she is searching for. We all know she has been placed in the perfect home and so we know that she too will get through this next challenge!

We believe in you all and what you are doing. You are amazing parents and ALL of your children are so blessed to have you both guiding them in life!

Hang in there, my friend! I wish you many happy moments as you seek to find that special bond with Kelly. May God Bless you and keep you!

Love and Blessings,

Debbie

Natalie said...

ALL of your children are just beautiful!
I think you're on the right track. What a great mommy you are. It's really going to pay off and you'll be sooooo happy you did all of this for your sweet little princess and well, really for all of you!
In the times that it gets really tough just know that God IS there to lean on and we'll be praying for all of you.

Natalie

Cheri and Shane said...

Jen,

Hi! First of all, Happy Chinese New Year. Next, Kelly looks absolutely beautiful in her dress.

Finally, please know that I will be praying for all of you and hoping that things get better really soon. You guys are wonderful parents and you are doing all the right things for your little girl. Hang in there, and know that all your friends & family are here for you if you need anything.

Hugs,
Cheri

~natty and barclay said...

Do what you must do as the Lord leads. Your family comes first so don't worry about frequent blogging. My heartfelt prayers are with you all and especially for Kelly to receive and accept your unconditional love. May the love of Christ hold you all in the palms of His hands and draw Boo's heart and soul much closer to you. Walk in His grace KNOWING that He has given you this child. My love and prayers.