Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Did I mention...

...that I also nap with Kelly nowadays? It's so hard to let go of being able to get things done (or update my blog!) while she naps, but I know it will be worth it in the long run.


Now here I said I wouldn't be back as frequently, and I'm back on the same day!


I meant to say thanks for everyones sympathies for my terrible neck ache I had for over a week! It's almost completely gone- thank God! Thanks so much for your kind and caring words. It was nice to know I'm not the only one who gets those once in a while.
Also, thanks for all the supportive and encouraging words each of you shared with me as we're dealing with these issues with Kelly. You just don't know how great it feels to have your support and love, especially when we're going through an especially hard time.

Without being too wordy, I really want to share a little bit more of what's happened with Kelly and why we are where we are.

As the months have gone by, Kelly has become more and more independent, stubborn, and strong-willed... at least, that was my perception of her. I thought it was just her personality- which some of it may be- but I've since realized there was more to it than that; I just didn't understand it at first.
She got to the point where she resisted being held at all. Snuggling and cuddling were out of the question. She would whine, wiggle, push, squirm, and eventually scream and cry if I would not put her down. My mistake was that I gave in to it; again, figuring it was just her personality. I didn't want to make her unhappy, so I would put her down when she fussed. (This put Kelly, the baby, in control- not me, the parent...!)

At the same time, Kelly became increasingly destructive. I mean, I know toddlers get into things and test their boundaries, but it was to the point that 90% of our interaction was negative. I was constantly saying, "Stop! No! Don't! Hey! NOOO! Get out of there! Put that down! No touch! KELLY ELISE! UUUGGGGHHHH!"
I was exasperated with her, and frustrated with myself because I was becoming more and more impatient and angry with her as each day passed. I longed to delight in her and enjoy her and connect with her, but she made it nearly impossible. I could tell we weren't bonding- she was actually growing a little bit harder and a little bit more distanced from me every day, and it was breaking my heart.
I began calling my sister at night after especially rough days, and as soon as I would hear her sweet, caring voice, I would lose it completely, sobbing uncontrollably. I felt overwhelmed... incompetent... defeated...hopeless.
Well, my sister happened to be in the midst of dealing with her own issues with her five-year old daughter, Hannah, and had recently learned that Hannah's struggles were attachment-related. She'd found a great book by Nancy Thomas from which she gained invaluable insight into Hannah's issues, and had also found an attachment therapist. As my sister listened to my stories of Kelly's behavior, she began to realize that everything Kelly was doing now, Hannah had done 3 1/2 years ago. She told me to check out Nancy Thomas' website, http://www.attachment.org/ to see what I might find to help me there.
Sure enough, as I poured over Nancy's website, I found several behaviors she labeled as "red flags" to be exactly what Kelly was doing. I found a set of CD's on her website geared specifically for parents of toddlers with attachment issues, and ordered them. They're called "Taming the Tiger While It's Still a Kitten." (They're awesome! I highly recommend them.)

Since I've received the CD's and have started listening to them, I have gained so much insight into why Kelly is the way she is. She's not independent- she's just pushing me away, because love, to her, is scary and painful. Connections in her brain were not made because they can only be made when an infant is experiencing attachment. (There are five keys to attachment, which I will share in a later post.) So Kelly basically learned to suppress that need for love and touch- after all, isn't it too painful to long for something you're never going to get? She learned she couldn't trust or depend on anyone in that first year of her life, so now she's resisting it with all her might.

Her survival instinct is to try to control. That's why she does what she does- pushing me away, constantly acting out and pushing my buttons to get a reaction out of me. That's her way of seeking to be in control.
But what I've learned is that when a baby (or child) gains control like that over her parent, she actually doesn't feel safe, because she's smart enough to know that if she's more powerful than the adult that she's supposed to trust, then she certainly can't trust that adult at all.
So that makes the detached child feel more unsafe, which then, makes them seek more control, and on and on the cycle goes.

Well, let me back up a bit... as I began listening to Nancy's CD, she said a good assessment to figure out if your toddler really is dealing with an attachment disorder or not, would be to pick her up and get right in her face, and just love on her: kiss her cheeks, talk sweet to her and tell her how adorable she is.

Nancy said if she makes no eye contact with you, squirms and fights you like you're setting her on fire, then your child's got an attachment disorder.
So I tried it with Kelly.
I didn't back down and let her push me away like I was accustomed to doing, I got right in her face and tried to talk sweet to her and love on her like Nancy said. When her whining, squirming, and pushing wouldn't get me out of her face, she screamed and cried bloody murder. She never made eye contact with me, and she got so upset that she began to bite herself on her hand and arm. I just couldn't believe it... I mean, how could I have been so blind? She met so many of the other criteria Nancy mentioned for children with attachment disorders, but when I saw that, I couldn't believe how she did exactly what Nancy said she would do if she was indeed dealing with some attachment issues.

So that is how we came to realize we needed to make some major changes in order to help our precious little Kelly work through these issues and open her heart and her mind back up to loving, trusting, and being loved.

Well, I'm afraid I've managed to get wordy despite my best efforts not to... I apologize!

There's so much more I want to share about what I've learned, but I will sign off for now and update again soon. I need to get to bed anyway- it's late! But I just wanted you to know some of the reasons why we've come to the place we are today.
I do have to say, on a good note, that now that I've been holding Kelly all the time, oftentimes in my "kangaroo pouch" (as Nancy calls it... it's actually a Kozy Carrier), Kelly is resisting me less and less, and seems like she actually might be liking it. (Don't tell her I told you that!) She's actually made eye contact with me a few times too, and one time (after one of her worst fits where she started biting herself again), after she finally gave up and was completely exhausted, she just looked up into my eyes for a long time. I was holding her head in my hands, and the look on her face was so sweet and vulnerable... it reminded me of how Caleb and Camryn used to look up at me as newborns. It was one of the best moments I've shared with Kelly so far.
At first, she threw some serious fits though. She hit me, bit me, scratched me, not to mention kicking, crying and screaming until she was blue in the face. She's still doing this off and on. She's a very strong baby, so I'm getting my work outs now, that's for sure!

But every time she throws a fit, I just hold her and shush her, stroking her cheeks and her forehead. Sometimes I have to hug her close to me with her arms down to get her to stop hitting me, but when she finally gives up the fight, it's sooo amazing to feel her little body fold into mine. To feel her body relax when she's close to me- it's something I never realized I was missing until I'm experiencing it now, and it's wonderful.
Don't get me wrong- she still has lots of times where she resists me, but we're making progress, and that's all that matters.
This stuff works. Not that it's not exhausting and draining, because believe me, it is! But at least my exhaustion has a purpose now.

You know, I've been praying for Kelly for a long time, and I do believe this is all a part of God's answer. Thanks for being a part of her story as you pray for her too, and I thank God for His faithfulness to us, and especially, to Kelly. I know He loves her and gave her to us and I'm just thankful He saw fit for me to be her mommy. She is a gift I will be forever grateful for.

I'll try to update again soon!

7 comments:

fourlittlehawks said...

Jen this is an awesome post,you articulated everything so perfectly as usual! I am SO proud of you - I know how hard you are working and how draining it is on every level, yet you do it all with the same heart full of love and dedication for your children that you've always had.
Baby, you are a ROCK STAR MOMMY!! Each day you inspire me further to keep on fighting this fight, I know God has amazing things in store for our precious girls and I'm so blessed and honored to be walking with you through this journey.
My road always ceases to be dark as soon as I feel you take my hand. Thank you for always being right there to do that. I love you!

Love,
Jen

Blomquist Blog said...

Hi Jen!

Thank you so much for sharing more of what you are experiencing with Kelly. It sounds like you are slowly making strides in the right direction. How wonderful to have your best friend, your sister, to share all of this with. I know she is one person who understands what you are going through.

Hang in there and know that we are praying for you, Kelly and the whole family. We know God will see you through this time. Stay strong, stay positive, and look for those shining moments as they burst through the clouds!

We wish you happier days ahead! Take good care and know that you are loved! Oh, one more thing, do take advantage of having to nap with Kelly. Yeah! I love to take naps with Britney when she needs one. The snuggle time is precious and holding my baby girl is just wonderful! Do you think she will let me do that when she is 13?

Love you lots,

Deb

Blomquist Blog said...

Oh, one more thing.....were you really sleeping when that picture was taken of you and Kelly sleeping? I mean could you look any more beautiful and peaceful while sleeping?! When I nap, I am the one with the drool coming out of my mouth onto my nice comfy pillow and I KNOW I DO NOT LOOK THAT GOOD! You go girl!

Love ya,

Deb

my3 kids said...

Jen I am so happy that you have figured things out. We went through the control issues with Emma...she would get very upset if I pushed the swing the wrong way and other things..I realized she wanted all the control..she's very strongwilled but we also worked through it and we are very bonded. It's amazing how strong these little bodies are isn't it. Hugs to you girl..we didn't go through as much as you are but it was tough..bedtime was awful for awhile too and I thought I would loose my mind. Hang in there and we will pray that Kelly lets you into her sweet little heart and learns to trust and love you unconditionally!

Clint and Jennifer said...

Thanks for all the sweet comments, guys! I really appreciate all the encouragement.
Debbie, you are so funny! Yes, I've usually got my face smushed into the pillow with a pool of drool at the corner of my mouth when I'm sleeping, so I'm definitely no "Sleeping Beauty"! LOL
I had to lay sort-of propped up for Kelly to stay on me, so I didn't get to drool like I normally do!
But it's actually so funny you asked, because I almost mentioned it my post because I thought it was so funny. I actually HAD been sleeping, but then I woke up, and when I saw Kelly laying there, peacefully sleeping away on me, I thought, "I've GOT to get a picture of this." But I had no way of doing that, of course, and I didn't want to move Kelly to get up, and I didn't want to holler for the big kids and startle her, so I didn't know what to do! Then I saw that the phone was right beside me on my bedside table, so I called Caleb on his cell phone- he was in his room- LOL- and I whispered to him to get the camera and come and take a picture of us!
So to answer your question, no, I actually wasn't asleep at the time the picture was taken!
So silly what we mommies will do get a picture!
Love ya-
Jen

Natalie said...

OH Jennifer. How sweet is that! Is Kelly's blankie in her mouth?
Elliana shoves her blankie in her mouth as far as she can get in!! LOL

Very touching post and what a sweet son to get the camera and take your picture.


Natalie

Clint and Jennifer said...

One more thing I forgot to tell you, Debbie. I think Britney might actually let you snuggle her when she's 13!
Camryn LOVES it when I crawl into her bed with her and just lay there, snuggling and talking with her. I will stroke her forehead and her hair, and she says it is the most relaxing thing ever. She's eleven, almost twelve... so I think we might have a chance for 13 too!
Keep your fingers crossed!
;-)
Jen