Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sticker Fun!

Since Kelly has such a hard time with eye contact, we have to try to do some fun exercises to encourage it without making it negative or forceful.

I have been truly blessed with some of the most supportive friends and family, and one of my newer bloggy friends,
Natalie, suggested we play a game where Kelly sticks stickers to my face. This is something she's done with her daughter, Elliana, and she said Elliana loves it.

Can you tell Kelly had fun?

Oh, but I think mommy had the most fun, because not only did little Kelly make eye contact with me several times, but she also smiled right at me, AND she sat still in my lap for over 10 minutes! Two weeks ago, I was highly doubtful I would ever experience any of those things with Kelly, and in one day, I experienced all three!
God works miracles every day, and this was my miracle for the day.


Even our kitty, Chloe, wanted in on the fun...But as much of a distraction as Chloe can be (Kelly adores Chloe!), Kelly still couldn't keep from putting stickers on mommy's face.

Thank you so much, Natalie, for giving me such a great, practical idea for playing with and bonding with Kelly. You have such a huge heart for children, and you are a wonderful mommy and friend.
If anyone else has any other creative ideas like this, I always love to hear them!

3 comments:

Blomquist Blog said...

Yeah Jen!

Another small, yet big step toward your goal. It looks like Kelly is responding very well to everything! What a delight to see her doing so well. I hope she continues to make strides and I hope the bond between you and her gets stronger and stronger each day. With our love and prayers for you all!

Love,

Deb

fourlittlehawks said...

Whoa, how did I miss this post? What a great suggestion, I love it! You both look so cute with your sticker faces!

Natalie said...

You both look so cute with your stickers on your faces!
Kelly will especially love it when she's older. It will bring out many beautiful smiles from that cute little face!