Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Nonnie

My mom (aka Nonnie) came to visit us this past weekend. What a treat it always is to have her come see us. It was especially wonderful for Camryn this time, because her Nonnie took her out on a pre-birthday shopping spree.

This particular shopping spree meant a lot to me, not just because my mom took Camryn shopping (which is every 12-year old girl's dream), but especially because of the motivation of my mom's heart that prompted the whole thing...

A few weeks back, my mom and I were talking on the phone, and she shared with me that Camryn had been on her mind. She said she sometimes wondered if things were harder for Camryn now, being thrust into the "middle child" position- no longer the baby- but sandwiched between her high-achieving big brother, who's always receiving some sort of academic accolade- and her adorably cute little sister, who gets all of the attention now. My mom wondered if Camryn sometimes felt lost. She said she wanted to do something to let Camryn know how special and loved she is.
Camryn is a pretty self-assured girl, but I do think she has had moments of feeling a bit invisible between her big brother and her little sister, so I really appreciated my mom's thoughtful perception. Just the fact that she was mindful of Camryn and considered how she might feel, and then to put that thought to action by doing something to bless Camryn the way she did- well, it just made my heart full.
What a sweet thing. And Camryn really appreciated it.
At first, Camryn had a hard time accepting her Nonnie's generosity, so she was timid about picking out things that might be considered expensive, or frivolous. But as her Nonnie reassured her that she wanted to get her whatever she wanted, that this day was about her, Camryn finally relaxed and had a really good time.

Here she is with her loot!
She said to me, "Mom, I never knew you really could shop 'til you drop, but today, I think we did!"



Nonnie had fun splurging on Camryn--
She loves her sweet Camryn,
~ not to forget her precious Kelly too!
(Sorry Mom, I guess I didn't get one of you with Caleb,
but we do know how much you love him too!)

Nonnie, we love you.
Thank you for coming to see us-
and thanks for all you do to show us
how much you love us and how much you care.
We are truly blessed!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm sure Camryn will forever cherish that day that was showered on her and her only. What a special gift. She looks so happy in the pictures and WOW, look at all that loot. I can't imagine how she must have been in the mall. She's at such a sweet age too.

I am looking forward to meeting all of your adorable children!!

Natalie

Blomquist Blog said...

Jen,

How wonderful and special for Camryn to have that treasured time with her Nonnie! I know it meant so much to her and she will treasure that day for years. Now, Camryn and her Nonnie will always have that special memory of just the two of them. I am sure there will be many more wonderful memories that your mom creates with all of your children.

Whatever we may call them....Nonnie, Nana, Grandma,
Me-Ma, they are very important people not only in our lives as our moms, but also our children's lives. Reading this post made me miss my mom and now am so looking forward to having her come visit in May and watch the kids for us. There is no doubt that some special memories will be made with her and our children.

Love you guys,

Deb

Anonymous said...

I not only enjoyed the shopping trip, but also Camryn's first track meet the night before we shopped...I think she's got some real talent! I will cherish the memory of every single moment of last weekend with you. I am the most fortunate one in all this! Camryn, Jeni, Clint, Caleb, and Kelly -- thank you ALL for filling my life with so much incredible hospitality, family fellowship, nurturing and shared support -- sure evidence of God's love for us. I can hardly wait for the next visit. XOXO I love you always forever, Nonnie

~natty and barclay said...

Wow-Za! AWE-some Nonnie! What a blessing and wonderful "dream-come-true-treat" for Camryn. Jennifer, your Mom is beautiful inside and out, you are ALL so blessed!

Cheri and Shane said...

How sweet! Does Nonnie feel like spoiling another "middle child" that she doesn't know? I could use some new clothes!! LOL

That was really nice. I'm sure they really enjoyed themselves and made lots of great memories! :)