Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Friday, February 20, 2009

Some Days are Good...

some days are bad.

Last Friday (the 13th, mind you~) was a good day. For the first time, Kelly let me snuggle her without putting up a fight. It was glorious. Right after I gave her her night time bottle, I just held her cradled in my arms, and instead of squirming to get down like she usually does, she just laid there and let me cradle her. I held her and looked down into her dark brown eyes and stroked her cheeks and forehead, and not only did she let me, but she even looked back up at me for a long time too. She had such a calm, sweet expression on her face. I couldn't believe it- I wanted someone to pinch me! Clint was amazed too. He was sitting on the couch across from us watching, and I heard him whisper, "Wow..."
It was a little slice of heaven, I tell you. You don't realize how precious those times are with your little ones until you don't get them.

Then there was yesterday...
Yesterday was a bad day. Kelly whined, fussed, and cried almost the entire day. She was very clingy, but unhappy at the same time. Nothing I did helped but for a moment. By the time evening came around, I felt so overstimulated... my ears especially, because I'd been listening to her loud, unpleasant noises all day long, so it started to feel like my eardrums were going to burst. This was day three of a string of less-than-good days, so my patience has been waning.

As I think about it, I think a couple of things have come into play with Kelly's disposition this week... it's so hard to know when they don't talk yet and can't tell you what's bothering them, but this is what I've surmised:

1) Camryn left for camp on Tuesday and has been gone all week. Kelly must wonder where she's gone and why. It may even make her wonder who else is going to go away next... maybe even herself..? (Thank God- Camryn comes home today!)
2) Since I was sick, Clint helped more with Kelly over the weekend. He held her a lot, and while it was good for Kelly to have that time with her dad, I think she got kind-of mad at me for abandoning her. In my "Taming the Tiger..." CD's, Nancy says that's normal when the mom takes a break- that a lot of times the little one will push her away when she returns because baby felt abandoned. So I'm thankful for that understanding and it helps motivate me to keep working at bonding with Kelly even though she's doing everything she can to make it difficult.
3) Kelly's still fighting this nasty cold we've all had. She may just feel bad (like I do), but she has no way to express it other than to act out.

So that's it! Here we are, living life, continuing to have our ups and downs.
That's my update for this week... I'll leave you with a silly picture for your amusement...





6 comments:

Blomquist Blog said...

Hi Jen!

I am so happy to hear that through all your challenges and struggles, you are seeing some promising results with Kelly. Thank you for sharing your good and bad days with us. I hope the bad days get less and less, and you start to see more progress! You are such a wonderful mother and Kelly is so lucky to be learning from your fine example. How interesting about Camryn being gone all week, and thus, she might be out of sorts. I think it will be interesting to see how she is once Camryn returns!

May God Bless you all. I know Kelly has been placed with the perfect family. She has two older siblings who are the best and will help mold her into a fine young lady! She also has two of the best parents out there. Hang in there and know that God, and all of us are on your side!

With love and gratitude,

Deb and Family

Nicole said...

What a blessing that you had that precious time with Kelly last week... so sorry it hasn't continued. I bet God was just giving you a small glimpse of how wonderful it will be... and it will be wonderful, Jen!!! Hang in there!

hugs,
Nicole

fourlittlehawks said...

Um, Kelly sweetie . . .
Don't be anxious, but . . .
Did Daddy style your hair?? Maybe next time Mommy is sick, you just take your brush to Camryn and she'll make sure he doesn't give you any mohawks. Not that you aren't ROCKING that look, mind you.

Jen I am so glad that you are sharing the good, the bad, and the mohawk moments here. I think it's important to journal about the amazing moments just to remind yourself on the bad days that they really happened. Debbie is so right when she says that you are a wonderful mother and Kelly is very, very blessed to have you. Even on your darkest day, I know you'll never stop fighting for her and I'm just in awe of you. I always knew you were a VERY tough lady, but the strength I'm seeing come out of you during this time is so incredible. I love you so much and I'm so very proud of you!

Love,
Your Sissy :)

Natalie said...

You know it is a wonderful thing! She let you hold and love on her for awhile! Praise God. He is so good. I wouldn't try to read too much into the bad days. Just like all of us, we have our days too. I think you might have it all right anyway. Camryn and being sick.
She has exactly what she needs there. YOU! I think you should expect to see those bad days but I also can bet that the good days will be more than the bad ones....

I love the cute picture. She so reminds me of Gracie except for her mouth. OH, another Yangxi beauty, your Kelly!!!

my3 kids said...

I am happy to hear that you are finally breaking down the walls sweet Kelly has around her. It will take time and you will have alot of ups and downs but at least what you are doing is working. Emma was not happy with Daddy doing any of the "mommy" care for a very long time. She only wanted mommy to do most things for her and would become very upset if daddy had to do things mommy usually did. Today she is much more accepting of daddy and even cries for him when he is away. Their bond is strong but it took alot of hard work and patience. Hang in there..your a wonderful mom and I bet your right, the changes affect our little ones so much. Glad Camryn is coming home and it will be interesting to see how Kelly reacts. Keep up the good work mom and dad!!!

Beth and Terrell said...

Hi Jen,

Just having a chance to check in with you and your family and I'm so sorry it's been so rough the past few days. I so understand what you are going through. And it sounds like you had a remarkable moment of bonding with Kelly. I think sometimes Jia is still testing me some and maybe that is part of Kelly's issues too. I guess all kids do this, not just a-kids. But it certainly can test a person's strength. Your pics are beautiful! The picture of you is gorgeous! Wow. Know you are in my thoughts and wishing you calm days ahead!

Beth