Formerly "To China For Kelly"

When I originally set up this blog, it was to chronicle our trip to China to adopt our daughter, Kelly; thus the title, "To China For Kelly." But now that I've decided to keep it up as my on-line scrapbook/journal, the title needs updating.
Inspired by my girls, who, despite their ten year age difference, both love lollipops and lip gloss; it is now titled, "From Lollipops to Lip Gloss." This is not to leave my son out, who also loves lollipops, but isn't too big on lip gloss, understandably!

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Ups & Downs

Ahhhhh... hello Blogland!

Nice to see you again!



Here are a couple of pictures of Clint and Kelly playing with stickers- one of Kelly's favorite things to do nowadays. (Thanks again for the stickers, Natalie!)




I continue to carry Kelly a lot during the days, either on my hip or in my baby carrier. It's taking it's toll on my lower back, so I'm sitting more with her lately. She used to HATE sitting with me and would throw a fit until I put her down, but now that that's not working anymore, she's actually accepting it more and more. She has her moments, but the fact that I can sit with her at all is a victory.

She has been very stubborn about eating. She does not like to let me feed her and always tries to feed herself first. This is a typical battleground for control. When I insist, "let mommy feed you," sometimes she plain refuses to eat. That's to be expected, so we just put the food up and try again later. Wouldn't you know it, as time has gone by, she's not refusing to eat much anymore?! But she still tries to feed herself and gets mad when I won't let her. That's okay... I tell her (with a smile on my face) that she has a right to protest! (..doesn't mean she'll get her way, but she can still protest!)
She tolerates me holding her most of the time, but definitely has her moments where she tries with all her might to get me to put her down, or drop her is more like it! She is so strong! Sometimes I feel like I'm wrestling a wild alligator just to keep her in my arms. But I have been able to keep my sense of humor about it for the most part... the hardest part is when I try to snuggle her... she still gets extremely upset. She will scream and cry as if I were putting hot coals down her diaper! One night when I tried to snuggle her, she went into a total rage like nothing we've ever seen. We were all in shock. She got so hot and sweaty her hair was soaked. After it ended and she finally calmed down, it was like she went back into that newborn state- she just stared up at me for the longest time with such a sweet look of vulnerability.
It's so weird to watch happen. It's like she fights it and fights it with all her might, but when I don't let her push me away, she completely melts down. But then, once all the fight is finally out of her, there is a softness that emerges that is absolutely beautiful. It's really an amazing transformation.

All in all, I still have days that end in tears, and days that end in sighs of relief, but most days, I'm just simply exhausted. But in the midst of it all, what I really try to focus on are the little blessings that come throughout the day... a moment where she makes eye-contact without squirming... a relaxed look on her face... being able to sit and hold her without her putting up a fight... watching her sleep in my arms...

I thank God for it all: the good, the bad, and the ugly. I know it's a process and healing doesn't come without pain. I think about how God has worked in my own life, and it's always been through the most painful times that I can look back and see that those were the times that I grew most.

I want to end with a big "thank you" for the supportive comments on the last post! I'm so blessed to have so many awesome friends and family that rally behind me. Truly, I mean this with the utmost sincerity- you are the wind beneath my wings!

Here are a few pictures of what I look at all day long nowadays... Kelly in my arms!
Kelly's in my "pouch" here. She's playing with the strings of my hoodie.


In the pouch, signing "daddy" to me...


"Okay Mommy, this has been fun, but can I get down now?"

9 comments:

Mei Mei Journal said...

We did holding time with Paige. It was draining, but seemed to work. We started everyday, then whenever she was having a "bad" day when she seemed wired and disregulated. I felt horrible that it seemed so traumatic, but it really seemed to help.
April

fourlittlehawks said...

Oh Jen, you just HAD to pull out the "wind beneath my wings" bit, didn't you?
LOL, just kidding - sort of.

Another great post, you are doing such a great job of journaling this process, and I really feel it will end up blessing someone's life. I can see a huge difference in these pictures, I know you might not be seeing the strides that you'd like to see, but I can see a softening in her eyes just as I can hear it in her voice over the phone.
You're getting there babe!

Loved the pictures!!! I thought about playing a version of the sticker game with Hannah, where I cover her entire sweet little mouth with stickers . . . but that was frowned upon in the books. Ah well, everyone's a critic.

Love,
Jen

fourlittlehawks said...

I forgot to say, GREAT signing Kelly Bean!! I am so thrilled at how many signs she is learning, and it was a big treat to get to see her doing it in that picture!

Love,
Auntie

Clint and Jennifer said...

Hey Jen, I left myself WIDE OPEN with the "wind beneath my wings" comment! I knew I had some jabs coming for that one, but hey, we have to keep it fun, right? LOL

I'm glad you're noticing a difference. I am slowly seeing it too.

I could just see you doing the sticker thing with Hannah- "one for your cheek, one for your mouth... one for your forehead, one for your mouth... one for your nose, one for your mouth..." LOL

Love you!
Jen

Clint and Jennifer said...

Thanks for the comment, April. I think wired or disregulated are the perfect words to describe her. So glad to know we're not alone. I feel bad causing her trauma too, but I know it's the best thing for her even though she sometimes hates it. I look forward to the day where we only have to do it on "bad" days, but she's worth it for now. Thanks for the encouragement.

Blomquist Blog said...

Hi Jen!

Thanks for the update. Great hearing about Kelly and her progress. I am going to give you the advice that I keep giving my best friend, Nancy, post transplant. Small, baby steps are great indications that Kelly is making strides toward the goal. It is a slow process and you just need to take one day at a time. I know that is easier for me to say since I am not in the situation. All these small, yet significant steps are slowly molding inside Kelly's brain and she is learning what true love and acceptance is. There are going to be good days and bad days. There are going to be peaks and valleys. It is in these valleys where you will truly grow and bond, and when you climb that peak with Kelly, you will see that God has given you the best gift in each other. Hang in there and please know that we have been praying hard for all of you. Good things will come...it just will take some time and patience. God is watching over you and guiding you along this journey.

We love you all!

Deb and Family

Natalie said...

I love seeing her in your arms! She sounds like she is slowly adjusting to all the love that's around her.
I love the pictures!


Natalie

Nicole said...

Hi Jen! You are doing a fabulous job... hang in there and keep trusting in God.

hugs,
Nicole
http://gowerfam.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Jennifer, It's me, your Mom. I love you and miss you -- and if they ever give out awards for the world's BEST and MOST AMAZING MOM, you'll win, hands down. Words fail me to express my delight and pride. I know that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, and He has entrusted you with the most important task imaginable. You make it look easy, but I know it is very difficult. You ROCK! Momma